What Is Fiber Optics?
Fiber optic cables are thin glass strands; they are about the same diameter as a human hair. They use light instead of electrical current to transfer data. This means data can be sent around Fort Mojave Telecommunications’ service area – and the world – at very high speeds!
Benefits of Fiber Optics
Fiber optic technology delivers improved quality and speed to your FMTI DSL service. Many of our current lines used to transport data are copper, which uses electricity to transport data. Fiber optic cables are made of glass and utilize light to transport data. Because light travels faster than electricity, fiber can provide much higher speeds than copper.
- Fiber allows service delivery over longer distances with little to no signal loss. Speeds are very fast and consistent.
- When using fiber technology, waiting to upload and download from the internet is a thing of the past, so it’s easier for you to get things done online.
- The difference between uploading and downloading data between copper and fiber technology is very noticeable. We’ve all had to wait for a favorite movie to load; with fiber technology, streaming can be instantaneous.
- With old copper technology, reliability was a concern. Copper cabling, especially as it ages, is very delicate and can break easily. Even though fiber optic cable is made of glass, fiber is strong and much more efficient.
How You Can Help
Customers already operating on fiber optic cable will be contacted by FMTI to schedule an appointment to update the DSL equipment at their home. The current optical network terminal on the outside of the home is replaced with a new GigaCenter, which is located inside your home to protect it from the extreme heat during the summer. The GigaCenter works hand-in-hand with your fiber optic connection to deliver the best possible service.
- Schedule an appointment with FMTI when we contact you.
- An adult 18 years of age or older must be present during the installation.
- If you must cancel the appointment, contact FMTI Immediately to reschedule.
Technology For The Future
Fiber optics within the community allows FMTI to make sure our network is future proof. Fiber optics are so reliable, even if speeds become 1,000 times faster over the next 20 years fiber optics can still support it.
Frequently asked questions
I received a call or a door tag from FMTI requesting an installation appointment. Why is this necessary?
We currently are contacting customers to schedule GigaCenter installation appointments. GigaCenters replace your current optical network terminal and allows you to enjoy all the benefits of fiber optics. Failure to install a GigaCenter may result in service interruption. Please contact Customer Service at (928) 346-2500 to schedule your installation appointment.